Sunday, July 12, 2009

[ consider, for a second, your children ]

Everything I know about parenting I have learned from watching my parents.
We go through life wondering why our kids don't turn out the way we want them to. We conveniently forget that they are painful and honest reminders of ourselves. Why doesn't my son get better grades? Why is my daughter a rebellious slut? Why are they impulsive, angry, abusive, why don't they like us?
Have you looked at yourself lately?
After beating and abusing your kids, comparing them to other kids, fighting like animals with your spouse... you expect your children to be loving and caring individuals? After consistently showing them how to sell yourself short, how to lie, cheat and steal, you expect them to be honest with you?
I'm not saying we were failures. I'm not saying we weren't loving parents, hardworking, considerate... we did the best we could. We did what we thought was right. We struggled to get by in a world that didn't always make sense.
And our children do too. So if we've been less than perfect, lets give them a fucking break, eh?

1 comment:

anarchy said...

'why don't they like us?'